Here Comes the Rain Again

Yesterday, Saturday, was my long run day.  I woke at 6 o’clock to H & B both sleeping peacefully.  Dressed in the dark, pulled on my Skora’s, kissed B’s forehead, grabbed coffee/water bottle/Kind bar, and headed out into a very cool and rainy morning.  I’m taking a hiatus from running in my Skora’s, but I still wear them everywhere, so they are incredibly important for me to bring with me.  I drive a dreary 30 minutes to the Hendershots parking lot to meet up with my fellow crazies, I mean runners.

I don't know if you can see it, but a heavy drizzle was going ALL morning.

I don’t know if you can see it, but a heavy drizzle was going ALL morning.

So I get a text from J, telling me that it’s pouring at her house and she’s going back to bed.  Hmmm.  I wonder if any of the turtle runners are going to show up?  I think that there were about 10 of us, and I was the only turtle runner there.  So other 9 runners head out at a good clip, and I set my interval timer for 20/40 intervals, and head out on my own.  Luckily I had brought my headphones, and I wrapped my phone in a grocery sack and stuffed it down my bra, so I had music and a timer.  SWEET!  I started out a little slow, listening to my music, just enjoying the rain on my face.  I headed up past work, climbed a small (but steady) hill, and just kept going.  As I rounded 3 miles, I really had to potty, so being close to my workplace came in handy.  Sorry about the rain puddles I left all over the floor, guys!

At this point, I am seriously dripping water from my visor, my arms, my legs are coated in mud/dirt/fallen flowers, and my socks and shoes are squishy.  I am also having a great time!  I love running in the rain, and I’m actually happy that I was able to enjoy it all by myself.  There are times when you want your friends on your run with you, and times that call for a solitary pavement pounding.  Rainy days are one of the solitary times for me.  🙂

Now, since I’m running by myself, I’m making up my own route as I go.  I really wasn’t sure about the mileage for the route I was running, but I figured I would just keep going as long as I needed to.  My left calf was a little tight, but mostly I just felt really good and loose.  I felt like I could go for the 6.5 miles planned for next week!  Until I got back to the parking lot, and still was only 2/10 of a mile short of 5 miles.  At this point, I just wanted to stop and get a cup of coffee!  But I rallied, and circled the block once, and came in at 5.05 miles.  My longest run EVER.  Wahoo!!!  And I came up with 5 “notes to self” based on my run.

1)  Yes, you can.

2)  When running in the rain, bring a towel (which I already had) and a change of dry clothes.

3)  Buy more epsom salt.

4)  Procure some Body Glide, as underarm chafing really really hurts. hurts.

Seriously…it hurts.

5)  Do not put arnica gel on said chafing, as arnica gel is an alcohol base.

After my victory shuffle in the parking lot, I grabbed a towel from my trunk, and headed into Hendershots for a well-deserved cup of coffee.  I texted B that I was finished, and took lots of pictures of my hat dripping water, my pruned and super soaked feet, all the good stuff for my blog.  I made part of the “notes to myself” list while drinking my coffee, but the other three I made after I got home.

Pre-run, looking at the soaked ground.

Pre-run, looking at the soaked ground.

My proof!  I'm slow, but I get the job done.

My proof! I’m slow, but I get the job done.

Why, yes, that IS water dripping off my visor!

Why, yes, that IS water dripping off my visor!

Even really good technical socks are no match for 3 to 5 inch deep puddles.

Even really good technical socks are no match for 3 to 5 inch deep puddles.

I walked through the front door and started the tub for a quick soak.  It wasn’t until I submerged in the water that the chafing became evident.  There were some shrieks.  But I soaked, coating my legs with the last of my epsom salt, allowing the heat to ease some of the inflammation in my tired legs.  After about 30 minutes of soaking and showering, I got out and coated myself with lotion.  Being that I am a total genius (read – flaming doofus), I decided to put arnica gel on my chafed arms, as it works beautifully on bruises and sore muscles.  I completely forgot that it has an alcohol base, and a chafed spot is basically a burn.  There were tears.

The problem with and underarm chafed area?  You can’t get away from it.  So I got creative and cut the “tube” portion off of a tube sock wore it like a sleeve.

My arm sleeve!

My arm sleeve!

So I have made it 5 miles.  Next Saturday I’m to go 6.5 miles.  I’m actually looking forward to it!  Now I know, that with partners or alone, I can do it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s